What are your new ideas for Redbubble?

CLEAR sticker option

Instead of printing on white backgrounds (and ruining some of the effect for designs) having the option to print on clear stickers would make for a great option.

1,820 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
albertotalbertot shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
24hoursayear24hoursayear shared a merged idea: Transparent background option when you buy a sticker  ·   · 
Amie WhitlockAmie Whitlock shared a merged idea: clear vinyl stickers and window decals  ·   · 
Tell Us More  ·  Russell GreenwoodAdminRussell Greenwood (Admin, redbubble) responded  · 

We’ve been looking into these basically since the day after we launched our original sticker product. Given the one-off nature of our product, they would probably have a higher price than the normal stickers – so we’d be keen to hear from you what price you’d expect these to come in at, and any other thoughts you have on them.

63 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • aquariumjazzaquariumjazz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm very interested in gloss finish or vinyl stickers! there are various ways to go about it though.

I used to use a sticker company to print gloss/vinyl stickers and they charged $10 for a 5"x7" sticker sheet that had anywhere from 2-10 stickers on it! That might be useful to redbubble so they don't have to print a bunch of odd sized die-cuts, but instead just a sticker sheet with all of the artists pieces the customer ordered.

Another option is to have preexisting templates to alter the design on (bumper sticker oval, circle, square, 4:3, etc) so that the sticker isnt die cut, simply printed, reducing that "customised" manufacturing fee.

As far as backgrounds go, I would LOVE to see colors. Clear, black, and perhaps a surveyed color amongst rb artists would be perfect. I have too many white designs that get lost in the sticker category.

Also! I hope that this opens a new door towards making stickers their own customisable category!! It's kind of hard to edit them in the same section as t shirts.

• AsianChang00AsianChang00 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that instead of permanently making all stickers clear, make an option for clear stickers for those who are willing to pay the extra amount to have a clear backing.

• PlatypusDoodlesPlatypusDoodles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The thing about pricing is... The stickers are already pretty pricey, no offense intended. And I'm not saying you should lower it or anything, I know that you're trying to make this as affordable as possible, I'm just saying... So if the clear stickers are going to be a lot more pricey, yes, maybe you could give the option of it, I just don't know how many people would buy.

• PlatypusDoodlesPlatypusDoodles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The thing about pricing is... The stickers are already pretty pricey, no offense intended. And I'm not saying you should lower it or anything, I know that you're trying to make this as affordable as possible, I'm just saying... So if the clear stickers are going to be a lot more pricey, yes, maybe you could give the option of it, I just don't know how many people would buy.

• saulhudson32saulhudson32 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From what I understand of simple vinyl decals is they are cut and then additional colours are overlaps or different cuts being pieced together. Machinery can do this but may have its limitations. It isn't as simple as just printing a decal.

I think decals look cool on let's say a car window and therefor I wouldn't be too concerned by the limitations. Such as being a single colour. Maybe that is a start

• jamiechalljamiechall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would it not be possible to meet each other half way: let me elaborate. The stickers could be cut to the shape of the design then application paper applied. So its is a decal style sticker instead. For this to be easier the designer would need to create the design with a bleed in mind allowing for movement of the cutting. I understand weeding the excess vinyl from the cut sticker would add some time at RB's end but a small increase in cost would cover this. So the end product is a design which you peel the back off leaving the sticker applied to the application paper, then applying that to the surface, rubbin git on then removing the application paper. Hope this makes sense.

• yasashiikyojinyasashiikyojin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agree with the rest of the users on pricing. Half my designs are white and right now they cant be used for stickers at all.

• Robert812003Robert812003 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea has been on here for over two years, and you guys said you've thought about it since day one.......

Soooo why do we not see them on here yet? What in the hell happened? TAKE MY MONEY DAMNIT

• SmoothBbyJazzusSmoothBbyJazzus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly, the white background feels tragically DIY on the back of my laptop. I'd be willing to pay up to twice as much for stickers with a clear backing.

• BlackbirdieBlackbirdie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would spend A LOT of money on stickers here, if i could get them with transparent or black borders.. I have a black laptop and just recently bought a couple stickers from here.. It just looks weird with that white border.

• lilacfawnlilacfawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

$5 would be brilliant, but I would still pay around $10 for them? I would definitely buy a lot of them if they were available, so a discount for multiple purchases would be great too.

• SanhlamiSanhlami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

50% sounds about right for clear/border-less stickers. I have wanted so many stickers from redbubble, but have not bought a single one because they have borders. Please create this option soon. You'd be the one stop shop for all my sticker needs!

• Robert812003Robert812003 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that 50% more per clear/colored background sounds fair. It's a necessity and I was shocked redbubble didn't offer this from day one (the same with different size options for stickers).

I hate buying them and cutting out all of the white by hand. For a lot of designs, even that isn't possible due to the complexity of the image.

The demand for these is high, even with a higher price tag. But tagging them at near $10 a piece would almost be insulting. The price should be semi-relative to the size of the sticker and the amount of ink used. I would pay $5~$6 for a smaller one and up to $25 for one that is 4~5 times larger. I think that would be fair.

• Paul ElderPaul Elder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I retail my stickers around the £3 mark so I would not have an issue with adding another pound on top of that to fund the new clear stickers. Laptop stickers would definitely benefit from this :)

• SelenaWolfSelenaWolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the sticker design could be separate from the T-shirt design, then that'd make it much easier and better.
    I'd be willing to pay up to $1-$3 more for a good clear-backed sticker.

• mokiwolfmokiwolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd say the price for transparent stickers should be anywhere between $1-$3 higher than what regular stickers are.

• PurpleSparkliesPurpleSparklies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand why clear backgrounds would be more expensive than white ones? But if so, anything up to twice the price would probably still sell.

Some of my bestselling designs are all white so I have to disable the stickers. If clear film is really so much harder to come by than white, I would settle for being able to upload the design separately to the T-shirt one, so that I can give it a black or coloured background. I have done this with this design:

http://www.redbubble.com/people/purplesparklies/works/11234374-simply-sherlock

Which I have also uploaded separately for other products, but it's a pain to do.

It's becoming increasingly frustrating that Red Bubble have introduced loads of new products and allow artists to upload different variations of the design to virtually every one, but the sticker still remains tied to the t-shirt design. Just unlink them!

Stickers make up roughly half the sales of my multi-coloured designs. Since I have made over 330 sales of all-white designs (where I've had to make the sticker unavailable), that's about 165 sticker sales Red Bubble have missed out on, just from my work alone. Sort it out!

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base